WELCOME! To the answer of riddle ‘is sofa bed good for your back or not?’
Got a back problem?
You need to give it a read before it gets out of hand.
A major advancement in the human lifestyle comes with the innovation of sofa beds – a compact bed range.
A considerable decline can be noticed at present when many people are shifting from beds to sofa beds.
Since sofa beds over a period of time have proved to be a smarter and efficient choice. Thus, there was a great turn in its purchases over time and the success rate was very visible.
Therefore, with this huge success comes a lot of concerns. One of the most concern questions asked is about, ‘if a sofa bed good for your back?’
Rising Percentage of health issues
This is because of the rising percentage of health issues, especially related to the backbone. In America back pain is an emerging problem and about $88 Billion has been spent on the medical treatments.
Therefore, buyers now do a lot of thorough study and research with some demo tests of comfortability before purchase to ensure is sofa bed comfortable? This article is a complete guide to what you need to know to answer the question of ‘if a sofa bed good for your back?’
Here we go;
Relation of a sofa bed to the human back?
Back pain is mainly associated with bad posture whether sitting or lying.
However, for maintaining a good posture it is important to sit with support which should be of moderate firmness. If you have an aching back, it is the sign of suffering and that the mattress of your sofa bed is either too firm or too soft.
Hence, it becomes the reason for bad posture while you rest, which causes stiffness in your lower back.
How to determine if a sofa bed is good for your back?
When buying a sofa bed you need to consider the following attributes for good back support that doesn’t hurt in the long run;
Readout: How to Buy Sofa Online
1. SIZE OF A MATTRESS
a.Determine the width
The width measures across the body may vary from 38 to 65 inches
b. Determine the length
The length measured from above your head to below your toes when lying down typically varies from 68 – 74 inches. Therefore, choosing a mattress with the right measurement of length saves you from back issues.
Moreover, the correct way of measuring the length if from the inside of the metal frame and not the mattress on the sofa.
c.Determine the thickness
The thickness can be measured in the following way as illustrated; To ensure that a 5-inch mattress can fit in your sofa frame, the distance between the top and bottom of the frame is measured.
A correct sized mattress is critical and can make a huge difference between a comfortable and uncomfortable sofa bed. Incorrect size mattresses may also reduce the usable life of a sofa bed.
Once you have decided on the size of the mattress, it is time to decide the type and quality.
2.QUALITY OF MATTRESS
Most of the sofa bed accommodate a 4-inch thick mattress, however, some accommodate a 5-inch thick mattress.
On the other hand, our regular traditional beds accommodate a mattress of thickness between 8 to 20 inches. Hence, quality in 4 or 5-inch mattresses can be determined by – firmness, support and durability.
Whereas, innerspring, foam, memory foam, inflatable air systems, and latex – are some examples of types of sofa bed mattresses. But, not all might be the best choice in a 4 – 5-inch thick couch mattress.
Let’s look at some specifics:
a. Inner-spring sofa mattress
Although it is one of the oldest bed types, they are still trendy.
It typically includes a steel coil core with a padded layer or a foam on top of it.
- Since it is the most common and oldest type, therefore, is available in a range of sizes.
- They are more affordable.
- They are not really comfortable because there is typically less than an inch of foam-padded over the coils. The foam itself is not thick enough, hence it does not provide protection from the frame of a sofa bed.
b. Foam sofa bed mattresses
Density is a critical criterion for any material to determine how much a given volume of material actually weighs. The standard measurement for a foam mattress is pounds per cubic foot.
The best quality of a sofa bed mattress made from foam has a foam density from 1.8 to 2.5 pounds per cubic foot.
- Provides excellent support
- Economical choice
- Foam reduces motion transfer
- Options available for firmness or softness for example marshmallow or feathers.
- Not so luxurious
c. Memory foam sofa mattresses
They combine a layer of memory foam with springs or support foam. It is also known as visco-elastic foam, as it uses the body heat to soften and mold to its shape.
Since it usually has only one thin layer of memory foam, it is used as contouring foam and not as a supporting foam. Qualities of the layers underneath the memory foam are important when it comes to supporting the sleeper’s body.
- Medium-firm support of memory foam makes it comfortable for most sofa beds
- They do not transfer motion
- For optimum support and create contouring feel, a support foam must be laminated by at least 2 memory foam must. But, this leaves a room for only 2 support foams when it comes to 4-inch thick couch mattress. This proves to be an insufficient amount of support foam, because of which the mattress will bottom out.
- The mattresses of some sofa beds trap heat in, making them uncomfortably warm at night.
- Memory foam mattresses are a more expensive choice.
d. Air bladder over coil sofa bed mattresses
This type uses a patented air-over-coil technology, that inflates in 25 seconds operates with an easy to use a hand pump.
- The firmness can be adjusted.
- Thicker than the traditional mattresses.
- It can be temperamental.
- It requires more time to set up and take down.
- They can be easily damaged.
e. Latex sofa mattresses
Latex is a natural foam rubber.
However, this combines latex foam with either springs or reflex foam to create a supportive and durable sleep surface.
These usually use only one thin layer of latex.
- For a firmer mattress, latex makes a good choice
- An environment-friendly choice.
- Although it’s natural rubber, it is also available as synthetic latex. Synthetic latex is often made with low-quality materials.
- Difficult to locate and purchase.
To conclude, it can be said that while selecting a sofa bed, you need to be considerate regarding the above attributes. In addition to that, all the above points help in the determination of the goodness of the sofa bed for the back. Since all of the properties are directly or indirectly linked with each other it is advised to carefully investigate each of them.